During the dark of winter much was happening at the SUN CO-operative:
- We signed a long-term lease for a piece of property with Vale, the largest mining company in Sudbury, to use land currently covered in waste rock for our first solar power projects.
- We completed and submitted our first application to the Ontario government for a FIT contract, which would see them buying the power we generate from these projects for the next 20 years.
- We obtained funding, and hired experts, to undertake planning work for both this and other potential larger projects.
- We have started discussions with potential private sector partners to help us finance and build these multi-million dollar projects.
- We’ve networked both within and beyond our community with other co-0ps, particularly renewable energy co-ops.
As spring appears (at least on the calendar) we hope it will bring positive news on our Ontario FIT application, and other good news for our goals to support a more sustainable society in Sudbury and beyond!